Saturday, February 21, 2015

Citrus stuffed Chicken

My girlfriend got me a bottle of Lemon Mango oil for Christmas.  I had not used it yet and wanted to.  Well while I am at the gym teaching my 8:30am and 9:30am classes get distracted and we start talking about FOOD!  Happens all the time.  Why not right?!  We need to eat........

As we were talking about food a stuffed chicken came to mind so after dinner I ran to the store to gather some items I would need for this dinner.  I needed it ready for tonight because I was back at the gym later to workout.

Here is what I grabbed...........


This all went into a food processor to make my stuffing, which looked like this.........


After I made the stuffing I pounded out my chicken breasts pretty flat and then filled them like this.....


On this one I have diced mangos on top of the stuffing and then some mozzarella cheese in there.  My kids like cheese so why not.  Each chicken is seasoned w/ salt and pepper before any stuffing is added. (don't FORGET that step!)

Then after all chickens were rolled I put them in an oiled pan and topped them with the remaining onion, mango, part of an apple, more lemon mango vinaigrette drizzle, some honey and Voila........


Your pan of Citrus stuffed Chicken is ready to sit in the fridge so it can be cooked when you need it.

You think how pretty, that looks great, well this is really how the kitchen looks.......


This is gonna happen.  You can't cook without your kitchen getting messy, so get cooking, and clean your kitchen as you go.  =] 

Final product.......



Can serve w/ any vegetable, rice or quinoa if desired, or over a bed of cauliflower rice.  That is another post.

Citrus Stuffed Chicken:


6-8 chicken breasts (could use more if needed)
pound out flat

Stuffing:

2-3 c. spinach
1-2 lbs mushrooms
1/2 onion
6 slices of bacon
1 med red pepper
5-6 pieces of chives (save more for the top)
2 tsp lemon mango vinaigrette (Celia's Meyer Lemon Mango Balsamic Vinaigrette)
1 mango (don't add in food processor) (set aside, dice up and use on top of stuffing)

Put in food processor and puree to a consistency that you like.  Small but not mushy.

Put filling in chicken, top w/ some mango (cheese if desired) and roll or fold in half and use toothpicks to hold together.

After pan is filled w/ all the chickens stuffed top w/ season top w/ salt and pepper first!  Then add remaining half of onion diced, 1/2 mango diced, 1/2 of apple diced, 2 tbsp honey drizzled over the top, 2 tbsp lemon mango vinaigrette drizzled over the top, chives cut up and sprinkled over the top, sprinkle some w/ mozzarella cheese on top if desired.  cover and store in fridge until ready to bake or bake!  Bake at 375 for 35-45 min.  Set timer to 35 first then check chickens to see if they are done.  Go get cooking!  Enjoy~


VEGETARIAN: remove bacon, use vegetarian friendly cheese, wrap in swiss chard leaves instead (don't bake as long), you can also fill peppers w/ the stuffing and bake.  Add a little liquid smoke to filling to replace bacon.  =]
GLUTEN FREE
DAIRY FREE: remove all cheese and/or use dairy friendly cheese
GRAIN FREE









No comments:

Post a Comment