Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Stuffed Peppers - Italian style

So, I need to get some more posts up on this blog!  I have a lot of work to do (not to mention my other list of things to do), but again, this is ALL in my spare time!  haha (like I have any of that).  I got up, made my boys pancakes, got one out the door, took my other to an Ortho apt this morning, dropped him at school, and got to the gym a few minutes late just in time to teach classes.  Then home to make a post.  =]  Spare time........

I have made stuffed peppers before, all different kinds but this go around I did Italian style peppers. Why?  Because it sounded good and my kids actually eat them!

Stuffed pepper are really easy and pretty basic.  You can prepare these in advance as well which is a huge time saver for those of you who have little time to spare.



 Here is your base!  Peppers.  I cut mine in half and take out seeds.  Sometimes they don't want to stand up and I find the pepper cooks better cut in half versus a whole pepper.  Your decision.  =]




I cooked up my turkey (you can use any meat here you'd like) w/ an onion in some olive oil, then added my spaghetti sauce.  I got into a lot of canning last year and decided to can my own spaghetti sauce.  Why not right?  So much easier to have it on hand all the time and it's the sauce we all enjoy.  Although if you don't make your own sauce here is what I would buy in the store...... Rao's marinara sauce.  So good.  yes, it's a bit pricey but it is cheaper than eating out, and if you aren't making it your self, it better be.... pretty darn good (that is a nacho voice in case you didn't catch it!)

After I stuffed my peppers I decided to add some mushrooms and bacon on top.  Most things in my house get bacon on them.



Homemade sauce!


I left my 15 year old in charge of keeping an eye on these while I was at the gym w/ my husband getting our workout on.  So my son puts the oven on broil, walks away, and forgets!  Then 4 whold minutes later I get a text w/ a picture that says.....'Did I burn them?'  No I tell him!  haha.  Makes for a great story.


FINAL PRODUCT!

Turned out great.  I then added some fresh green beans in brown butter sauce.

Here is your next Clean Fuel Kitchen meal.  Get cooking........
Enjoy~

  • *this dish can be made or is.....
  • dairy free - take off cheese, use dairy free butter
  • gluten free
  • vegetarian - substitution below
  • paleo - take off cheese or use paleo friendly cheese


Stuffed Peppers:

4-6 peppers (any color)
1- 1 1/2 lbs ground meat (I used turkey)
1 onion
2 lbs mushrooms
6 pieces of bacon
1 jar spaghetti sauce or use homemade
sprinkle of cheese (optional, always go with this option) =]

1. wash and cut peppers in half and deseed.
2. cook onion seasoned w/ salt and pepper for about 8 min on low heat, then add turkey, season w/ more salt and pepper, cook till done.  Add spaghetti sauce (recipe below) or use jar sauce.  
3. Fill peppers
4. cook mushrooms and bacon in pan (same pan as meat) season w/ a little salt and pepper.  Cook for about 8 min.  Top peppers w/ mushrooms.
5. Add a sprinkle of mozzarella to the top of peppers.
6. Bake on 350 degrees for about 35-45 min, then turn on broiler and broil for about 1 min or till cheese is light brown and bubbly.

  • to make this dish VEGETARIAN: use mushrooms, zucchini, tofu, Morning Star sausage patties. In place of the meat.


Green Beans:


2 lbs green beans

1. Wash and cut green beans and add to a pan w/ a little olive oil, salt and pepper.  Cook for about 3-5 min on med high heat
2.  Get lid to pan and add 1/4 c. water and put on lid and let steam for about another 3 min.  Shake the pan to move beans around.
3. Add 2-3 TBSP butter and another 1/4 c water.  Keep lid on and let steam for another 3 min or so.  Heat needs to stay high here.  Cook beans till you like the tenderness of the bean.  I like mine a little more crunchy.  Add a few more min for a softer bean.  Add a little more salt and pepper.  Then serve w/ stuffed pepper.

Spaghetti Sauce:

1 white medium onion
3 garlic gloves
3 Tbsp italian seasoning
2 Tbsp basil
2 Tbsp oregano
3 dashes of sage
2 Tbsp parsley
2 tsp garlic granules
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 (14.5 oz) can whole or diced tomatoes
2 (15oz) cans tomato sauce
2 (6oz) cans paste
1 c. red wine (can omit if you want but why would you) =]

1. cook onion and garlic in olive oil for about 8 min.  Then add wine, let cook for a few min.  Then add all the seasonings, let cook for a few min, then add all sauces.  Let this simmer for several hours for best results.  Put in a dutch oven on stove on simmer and just let it go.  Sitr often.


No comments:

Post a Comment