Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Black Bean Salad

Dang, I've been making this salad forever!  Seriously forever.  It is so simple, easy to modify to your own liking, inexpensive, great to take to gatherings, need I go on.........

I kind of forgot about this salad, I haven't made it in over a year I bet.  Sometimes I only get through part of my cookbook, maybe one day I will have my own!  Or even better, several!  haha, wishful thinking.  =]

With this being called a Black Bean Salad ...... obviously the start of this salad is......... black beans.  I really love black beans but really several other types of beans would work well in this salad too.   Like, black eyed peas (is that technically a bean? hmmmmmm), navy bean, or even a kidney would work here too.  OMG, I do have a delish kidney bean salad too!  I will break that out soon.


The base of this salad here is 1 -15 oz can black beans drained, 1- 15 oz can of pineapple tidbits drained (I do like the tidbits best here, perfect size really).  On the bottom there you can see some quinoa, about 1- 1 1/2c pre cooked quinoa.


Next you gotta spend some time cutting your veggies!  You can use what you like.  These are the main veggies I use in this salad.  I always use, avocado, lime, tomato, red pepper, cucumber, green onion, cilantro (a must, and if you don't like cilantro, I'm sorry!  =]  Jk, there are other options for a substitution, no not parsley, don't add that).


See this handy pastry knife.  Get one, they are a kitchen must have!  Scoops up the veggies nicely to add to the bowl.


Ahhhhh, it's coming together!  Seasonings added on top!


final product!  Seriously a summer must have salad.

Recipe:

1 - 15 oz can rinsed and drained black beans
1 - 15 oz can of drained pineapple tidbits (it might be slightly larger in size)
1 red pepper (or any color you like)
about 1/2 c cut up green onions
2 celery stalks
1 small cucumber or about a little more than a 1c.
1/2c cilantro
1-2 tomatoes
1-2 avocados
1/2 - 1 jalapeño diced very small
1 - 1/2c precooked quinoa 
2-3 tsp apple cider vinegar ( I recommend apple but white would work too)
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1- 2 limes zested and juiced

Adjust seasoning as needed to your liking.  After I mix it all up I will taste test and add more seasoning.  

1. dice all veggies about the same size.  As you can see from my photos, I like them all about the same size.  Easier to eat!
2. add all ingredients to bowl and mix well.
3. add seasoning last and adjust as needed.
4. eat immediately!  (I mean only if you want, otherwise cover and store and in fridge)

VEGETARIAN
GLUTEN FREE
NUT FREE
DAIRY FREE
VEGAN
PALEO: substitute beans for meat or more veggies.  I would add mushrooms, different varieties of mushrooms, bacon, more cucumber, zucchini.  Get creative.  

Get cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment