Monday, April 13, 2015

Coconut Chicken Salads

I do love this meal!  As does my whole family, even my very picky son.  I love this dish and it is so fresh and easy.

I got this from my sister in law and then put my spin on it.  Why wouldn't I?  haha =]

There are a few steps so don't be overwhelmed by the photos!  I know you guys LOVE photos!

Making quinoa in advance would be better here for this dish.



(this is the finished product.  You just want to make it plain and keep in the fridge)

Here are some of the toppings I add to my salads.

Yum!

We need protein!


Look at that goodness!


What you need for the chicken.


Not the best pic, sorry.  But here is the dressing mix.  My homemade ranch and then add a BBQ sauce.

The final product!  Yum!



 The picture is so clear you can see the water spots on the plate!  haha  Oh dear.  Guess I better get better cleaning detergent.  (don't look)

Are you ready to make this?  Alright, let's go........

Recipe:

Green salad mix of your choice.

Toppings:
avocados
tomatoes
black beans
corn
cilantro

Quinoa:
pre-make the day before in a rice cooker.  Follow directions.
cilantro
coconut oil
onion

Chicken:
4-6 chicken breasts
coconut oil
coconut sugar
maple syrup

Dressing:
ranch dip
BBQ sauce

1.  Pre-cook quinoa the day before or even use leftovers.  =]
2.  Pre cut all veggies for toppings.  Of course use what you like.
3. Cook quinoa.  See below.
4. Cook chicken.  Simply turn on pan (I prefer a stainless steel pan over teflon) to high heat and add about 1/3c coconut oil.  Then add chicken.  Add a good amount of salt and pepper (this is the only real seasoning your chicken will get).  Let cook till brown.  When almost done add 1/3c coconut sugar and 1/4c maple syrup.  Let come to a boil for several min, then turn heat off and cover with a lid until ready to serve.  If your find you syrup burning turn heat down.
5.  Prepare salads.  

Cooking Quinoa:

1.  heat pan to medium heat and add 2 Tbsp coconut oil.  Then add half of diced onion and season with salt and pepper.  Let cook till soft then add pre-cooked quinoa and another pinch or two of salt and pepper, let cook for about 7 min.  It will pop!  =]  Then add cilantro and cook for another min or so.  

Dressing:

1.  Use Ranch dip mix or use your own ranch.  I use almost equal parts.  I start with a 1/2c of ranch dressing and then add about 1/4c or little more of any BBQ sauce of your choice.  Mix well and adjust ranch and BBQ until you enjoy the flavor of your dressing.  

TIP:  I have also made this dish with salmon and it is just as fabulous.  If you enjoy fish try it.  

PALEO:  don't use black beans or corn, and use paleo friendly ranch and BBQ sauce
VEGETARIAN:  don't use chicken, instead I would use firm tofu and mushrooms and still cook in the same coconut oil, sugar and syrup.  Pecans would be good in this as well.
NUT FREE
GLUTEN FREE
VEGAN:  don't use meat or dressing.  I also would use some firm tofu and mushrooms here with pecans in place of the meat.  





No comments:

Post a Comment