Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Chocolate Crinkles!

This is the recipe that I have been pestered about all day today!  haha Ok, not really pestered but asked about repeatedly (I think that totally counts as being pestered!)  Like I have nothing better to do then to come home and post on my new blog.  No, not this lady, I had a doctor appointment today right after I left the gym (but made a quick stop to play with my big pup), then my son calls and says he is sick, so my trip to the doctor takes a quick turn to grab him.  I go to my doctor appointment, then I take him, but there was no spot for him so we scheduled an appointment, had an hour to kill so we came home so I could do some work on the computer for the gym (while he laid down to rest).  Really?

We get to the doctor to wait an hour (an hour I can't get back BTW!) to find out he just has really bad allergies.  Really?  We knew that.  ugh.

Trust me the day goes on........ but I won't bore you with that.  I will tell you I made more recipes today!  Yes please.  =]

Back to the cookies.  These I love!  Do you remember these?  Maybe you remember them as something different but in my house growing up we knew them as chocolate crinkles.  I did a paleo challenge about 6 years ago and have been creating paleo recipes ever since.  I am not 100% paleo but I do enjoy a lot of paleo foods and I enjoy making paleo recipes.  I also try to take all refined sugars out of my cooking and baking.  These cookies are so good I will eat them all by myself and I feel really good about it too.  =]

What to start with:
You need to puree some dates so get that food processor out again.









Here are your dates.  They usually come pitted, some do not so just make sure you check that before you put them in the food processor..... the pits do not puree!  Mine have pits, so I just pinch them and pop them out.


Here is what it will look like.  It really takes about 30 seconds.  When it forms a ball stop the machine to add the rest of your items.

I didn't do a great job here taking enough pics but you will get the idea.  =]




After you add all the ingredients ( see below) this is what your consistency will look like.  You want it to form a ball.  But if it is too sticky and all over the machine, then you need to add more almond flour.  Just add 1 tsp at a time and pulse.



Ahhhhhhhh, the final result, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside.  Yes please!  Enjoy and go get baking.........

(hold please while I go make another batch) =]

Recipe:

2/3c thick almond butter (recipe here)
1/3c almond flour
(you can use 1 c almond butter if you want)
1/2c. date puree (7 dates)
1/2c. coconut sugar
3/4 tsp baking soada
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2c coco powder
2 scoops chocolate protein powder

1. make date puree
2. add all other ingredients and run machine until turns to a ball.
    a) if too sticky, add 1 tsp almond flour at a time
    b) if too firm and dry looking, add 1 tsp almond or coconut milk at a time
3. make into 1 inch balls and place on sprayed pan
4. you can roll in powder sugar for your kids if you want =] (they will never know these are healthy and full of protein!)
5. Bake 350 degrees for 10 min ONLY.  Do not bake longer.  I promise.
6.  This is a very important part!  Let your cookies rest on the pan for 2 min before you remove to a cooling sheet.  Your cookies need to rest after all that baking.  =]

As you bake your cookies should crack on the top, if they don't your temperature may be off in your oven.

VEGETARIAN
PALEO: Use your favorite paleo friendly protein powder
DIARY FREE: Use dairy free protein powder
VEGAN: You need to use an egg substitute and add 1/4 tsp baking powder.


No comments:

Post a Comment