Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Banana Panckaes Gone Waffle...



I love pancakes, waffles and french toast!  Who doesn't?  (if someone dosen't you probably shouldn't be friends with that person. jk) My whole family loves them all too.  Well, when you think about pancakes, waffles and french toast, they really are just filler ingredients.  I mean, what do you get out of it nutritionally that is?  Not much.  My point exactly.  Flour, water, baking ingredients, (all full of nothing to help you feel strong and healthy, maybe more comatose and fluffy.  There is some milk and or eggs too.  Either way not much for YOU.

SO, I needed something that was good and good for me.  Don't get the wrong idea, I do however indulge in the other comatose fluff as you will see below.  =]  But this is what I eat most of the time when I make pancakes for my family.  Lets start with the pancake first since this where it all started.


Ingredients:


Here is basically what you need:
  • 1 small banana (don't be confused by the bigger ones!  Small)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 splash vanilla (I use homemade, another post!)
  • pinch of salt
And... a few options on this last one:
  • 1 Tbsp pancake mix
  • 1  1/2 Tbsp almond flour + 1/8 tsp of baking soda and powder
  • 1 Tbsp oatmeal flour
For Waffle

  • add 1 tbsp melted coconut oil

Optional add:

  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of nutmeg

All of the flour options work you decide what you want.
Paleo = almond flour
gluten free = gluten free oatmeal mix or tapioca flour instead
vegetarian = any =]

Put in a bowl and mix well


After you mix, preheat a pan and spray w/ cooking oil or use coconut oil and pour about 3 inch diameter pancakes.  Cook on Med to low heat.  Makes anywhere from 4-5 pancakes.  





Put whatever your little heart desires on top of these fluffy pancakes.  I have done lots of toppings from my homemade peach/strawberry jam, to strawberry syrup (recipe below), bacon and apples sprinkled in cinnamon (yes I have!), and fresh berries.  You decide what you feel like eating that day and change it up.  =]




Here are the pancakes gone WAFFLE!

Isn't that pretty?  Too pretty to eat?  Naw!  Dig in.  This waffle is topped with my strawberry syrup and fresh berries.  Can't go wrong here.

See, looks like a real waffle, tastes like a real waffle (this waffle didn't last long.)  In fact I eat most of my meals for time!  3...2....1...GO!








strawberry syrup:

This is what you need.  An emulsifier to start (it works best).  I have to say I love my emulsifier!  If you do not have one I recommend getting one.  I have the Kitchen Aid and love it.  Any-who...... 

Ingredients:
add about 4-5 strawberries
1 tsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp coconut milk (or almond milk)
puree!

Watch happiness happen when you smoother your pancakes or waffle w/ this goodness.  =]




I do indulge!






Here is my indulging food!  Here is the thing.  My family does not have allergies to any foods or have food intolerances (except to crappy cheap food).  

To the right is a nice piece of Artisan white chocolate pecan bread.  Grilled and topped with my strawberry sauce and fresh berries.

To the left was an experiment that worked for me!  It is a grilled piece of pineapple.  I thought what about someone who is gluten free?  You need to use a gluten free piece of 'bread'.  Am I missing something here?  It's still bread (fake bread I guess.)  So what about a piece of fruit?  Well, it turned out great.  Here is the thing.  It's fruit, there is no spongy texture like bread
for the egg to soak into or stick to.  This is a delicate situation here but it works!  Dip your piece of pineapple in the egg batter, cook on a med to low heat, be gentle when you turn it and voila.....
pineapple french toast!

Egg mix:
6 eggs
1/2 c milk (any kind, coconut, almond, regular)
2-3 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2-3 tsp vanilla (I use my homemade kind)
2 pinches of salt
Beat well......








No comments:

Post a Comment