Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Pancakes...Perfect..... Pancakes

I don't just make banana pancakes (which I love) I also make regular ol' pancakes.  My husband LOVES pancakes and so do all my kids so they love nothing more than when I make a big pile of fluffy pancakes.  I have the best pancake recipe around.  There are a lot out there so try mine and then compare to the others.



Here is the dry mix and I add protein to all my dry baking mixes.  It is a great way to add protein to your meals.  (That is if you are having pancakes as your meals!)  haha


That is homemade vanilla going into that mix!  It is the best and makes a difference in the flavor of the pancakes (or waffles if you so desire to make them into that, which you can!)


Those are what we call PERFECT PANCAKES!  yep, super fluffy cooked perfectly.


I ate my one pancake with my egg muffins.  Yum!  You don't need to eat the whole plate to enjoy pancakes.  I do have a specific spatula I use but unfortunately my son broke it while I was out of town and I haven't got a new one yet.   I will take a picture and post it when I get it!  =]  It's a kitchen must have.

Recipe:

Dry mix-
6c flour 
2 tsp baking soda
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp kosher salt
3 Tbsp sugar

Use 2 c. dry mix
add:
2 eggs
2 scoops vanilla protein
2c. whole milk
4 Tbsp melted butter
1 - 2 tsp vanilla (I use homemade)
optional:
2-3 pinches of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

Directions:

1. You can make up this dry mix and store for up to 6 months in air tight container (Mix dry mix well).  Mine never lasts that long.  =]
2. When you make the mix you want to use a whisk and to blend well (clumps are A-Ok) and let mix sit for about 5 min before you use it. You want the baking powder to activate and start the fluff!
3. Heat a pan or griddle (I use a griddle) and put heat on med to high heat.  The trick to the best pancakes is a high heat for the pan.  You'll know if your heat is to HIGH when your pancake burns (then turn heat down just a touch)!  Nobody wants burnt pancakes.  =]
4. You can use any oil to grease pan.  But grease the pan (I use a spray)
5. Then pour about 3 inch size pancakes on your pan.  Let cook for a few min on each side.  If you turn your pancake over and it's to pale, then you ... a) need to turn your heat up b) need to let it cook a little longer
6. As your pancake cooks you can literally watch it fluff up!  It will not always be bubbly when it needs to flip over.  Check for golden brown.  Sometimes the bubbly look is an over cooked pancake.

TIPS:

1. you can add anything to your pancake as they cook.  We add chocolate chips and blueberries to them.  Pour mix on the pan, add the ingredient and then hit it with a quick spray of cooking spray!  Then when you turn your pancake over it won't stick.  Then you don't have to make a whole batch of blueberry if everyone doesn't like them.  =]
2. If you don't want to add the white sugar you can add honey to the wet mix when you make it.  You will want to add 1 Tbsp of honey per 2c. dry mix.  
3. You can also use several different flour mixes if you'd like.  Unbleached white, whole wheat, oat flour, gluten free flour, ect.  Any flour will work here.  I have not tried almond flour though.  =]

VEGETARIAN: use egg substitute if you don't eat eggs (flax egg) 
GLUTEN FREE: use gluten free flour, you may need to add a little more baking powder.
VEGAN: take out eggs and milk.  Use water instead, use vegan friendly protein for more protein in the mix.  You can also use a flax egg in place of the eggs (1 Tbsp ground flax + 2 1/2 tsp water)  Mix well and add to pancake mix.  
PALEO: Use my banana pancake mix!  

No comments:

Post a Comment