Friday, March 20, 2015

Onion Jam

Super easy and so versatile.

I have made this and used it on pizza, burgers, salads, hot dogs, chicken, possibilities are endless.



I don't always add peppers but I hat them so I did.  Amazing.  (get creative)



JAM CONSISTENCY.........


I added my onion jam to my deconstructed chili dog.  It was so good.  Yes, I ate the whole thing!  Why wouldn't I.  What is this?  Sweet potato fries, topped with a chicken bacon pineapple sausage, spread that with my berry jam (post coming soon), some cole slay, fresh tomato,  drizzle of chili (or a big ol' pile if you desire (recipe coming soon) and onion jam!

Recipe:

2-3 large white sweet onions
2 peppers (any color)
1/4c. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. water
2 dates chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
(ALSO, try without peppers.  Very good)

1. Slice onions and peppers into longer strips
2. Put onion in pan w/ a drizzle of olive oil on med high heat.  Let cook for 5 min, then add peppers, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 min.
3. Turn heat to low.  Add water, balsamic and dates.  Put lid on pan and cook for about 20-25 more min.  Check on it every 5 min or so and stir.  You want this sticky caramel color.  Because of the balsamic this will keep for several weeks or more in the fridge.  
4. Add to any favorite dish.  

GLUTEN FREE
VEGETARIAN: use meat substitute mix in your chili and no chicken sausage!  You can get vegetarian sausages too.  
DIARY FREE: I used a yogurt sauce in my cole slaw so you want to not add that!  Use just a lemon juice on your cole slaw.
PALEO: same as dairy free.
GLUTEN FREE

No comments:

Post a Comment