Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Meatballs

Meatballs seem to be one of those dishes like meatloaf.  It either is great or a flop, too dry, lacks seasoning.  I don't know if these are the perfect meatball but they are a runner up for the perfect meatball.  This is an easy recipe to knock out quick.

 I know because I just did it the other day.  I was teaching all day so that means I usually have 3 hours in the day (between classes) to get things done.  I knew I was making meatballs so my boys could have dinner that night while I taught and then lunch the next day, or even dinner again!  I pulled meat out of the freezer to have it ready to go.  After I taught morning classes I had to make a few quick stops, which turned into a lot longer than I though so when I got home to make meatballs I literally only had 45 min.  I got this.



Toss it all in a bowl, mix well!  Can you see what it's there?


I cook mine in a large skillet with some olive oil in a pan on medium (to very slightly high) heat.  I mean it...... don't you go to far on the high side, it won't be good.



Turn over!  I use tongs for this, it seems to be the best way to not break or disturb the meatball too much.  What....... you didn't know you can disturb meatballs?!  Uh....... you sure can, so if you are disturbing them, this could be why your's don't turn out.  I no yoking!  haha....... ok, maybe just a little.  By the way, this is a small batch for me.  The pan is usually FULL.  I was in a hurry!



I was pretty sure I captured the steam in this picture but maybe not.  Yep, these are right out of the pan, maybe a few minutes to cool down.  Put them right in an air tight container and in the frdige for my boys for dinner later.  I did not over cook these!  In fact I under cooked them just a bit, that way when they warm them up they are not dry.



Meatball sandwich!  This is what my boys will eat for lunch and dinner.  I don't always eat my meatball sandwiches on bread ......but when I do...... it is a big fat hoagie roll!

Recipe:

1 1/2 lbs ground meat  (I used half turkey/ half hamburger)
1/2 c almond flour
1/2c parmesan cheese
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 garlic cloves crushed
1 small white onion chopped and sautéed
2 Tbsp fresh parsley (yes you need fresh, it changes the flavor if you use dry)
1/4c ground flax
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 egg

1. Sautée onion first in some olive oil.  Cook on med to low heat w/ a pinch of salt and pepper while you get the rest of the items ready.
2. Put all items in a bowl and then add onion and mix well.
3. Make into inch size (or just a bit bigger but not much).
4. Heat skillet to medium (to very slightly high) heat.  Drizzle with olive oil
5. Place all meatballs in pan.  Let cook on one side for about 8ish min.  Then use tongs to turn over.  If you feel your meatballs are cooking to fast, turn heat down.
6. serve or store in fridge.  You can even store in freezer!
7. To store in freezer first place meatballs on a cookie sheet and place in freezer for about 30 to an hour.  Then you can take them out and place them all in a ziplok bag without them sticking to each other!  

Spaghetti Sauce  I will say this though.  If you don't make your own..... I do recommend the brand Rao's.  It is AMAZING!  No joke.  It's expensive, about $9 a jar but if I am not making it myself it better be better than (or just as good as) mine!  See what I'm saying?  (you get me)

Serve on a roll, or however you'd like.  I like to eat mine over broccoli or even cauliflower, over course pasta works, zucchini noodles (that will have to be another post).  Get creative, change up the flavor if you'd like, this is just a simple base.   Enjoy, now go get cooking...... 

PALEO
GLUTEN FREE
DIARY FREE: use dairy free friendly cheese
VEGETARIAN: No!  But I am working on it.  Don't buy those vegetarian meatballs either, they are nasty.  I'll think of a version and share it.  =]

No comments:

Post a Comment