Monday, March 23, 2015

Sweet Potato Chili

Like I've said before I am not strict anything when it comes to eating, except for good clean fuel (and every know and then I break that rule to!)  My husband and I do a paleo challenge every now and then, whether it is at our gym with our members or just us.  Well, when paleo you must get creative with what you eat to make it good and different otherwise you find yourself eating the same thing over and over agin (which is why I believe a lot of people struggle with a paleo diet).  We don't have any food allergies but we really enjoy eating paleo at our home and we have come up with some great paleo recipes (when I say we, I mean ..... I).  =]

I created this recipe years ago because we love chili (who doesn't).  This is really a simple recipe.  It all starts with..........



Then you need to roast the peppers........

'Yep, I put them right on an open flame and rotate as it blackens.  You want blackened.  It takes about 7ish min.



I'm super picky and like all my pieces that get chopped up to be about the same size.  You laugh but this ensures that all pieces cook at the same time.  Ever wonder why a few pieces of potatoes are still hard?  Hmmmmmmm..... bigger than the others.  Cut them the same size!  It's not Chopped or a WOD, you don't have to cut for time.  =]

Get your Dutch oven out our crock pot, either works.


Do you know how hard it is to take a pic, while pouring olive oil and get a clear pic?  Hard people!  Hope you love this photo!  =]  I went dutch oven this night.



That's a mix of turkey and hamburger meat.  I try to go extra lean with my meats just because of my extra high cholesterol.  I have to be careful which is why I use a lot of ground turkey, chicken or fish.  BUT...... I don't do turkey bacon or fake bacon.  It's alwasy the REAL deal with this girl!  Moderation right?  Everything in moderation.  =]  See...... balance.  It makes us happy.


Yep, canned tomatoes.  So, to make a loooooooooong story short (I can expand on this later), I grew up in a home where everything, and I mean EVERYTHING was homemade.  From jellies and jams, to fruit leather, beef jerky (yep, we set up an old school dehydrator outside (they didn't make these machines back then) and got the sulfur out!  I can still remember the smell.) and also made our own cereals, breads, and canned and canned and canned!  So, I pretty much swore of any kind of canny as I got older, then I wised up and started!  So, I can my own tomatoes and they are amazing and useful in many food items I make.  =]


Sweet potato chili!  There ya have it.  Now just let it sit and cook for 5-6 to 8 hours.  The longer the better.  It's even better the next day.  =]


Recipe:

1- 1 1/2 lbs ground meat (use any kind you like)
3 red peppers (roasted, set aside to cool a little)
1 med onion diced
3 garlic cloves crushed
1- 24 oz can stewed tomatoes (or 2 -15 oz cans)
1 can paste
1 large white sweet potato (2 small)
salt and pepper
1 chili seasoning packet (if desired)

other seasonings:
chili seasoning
garlic salt
cayenne pepper
crushed red pepper
onion powder
garlic powder
paprika

1. dice onion and put in dutch oven w/ olive oil, season w/ salt and pepper
2. then dice potato and add, let cook for several minutes then add garlic
3. Add meat, season w/ more salt and pepper.  Season every time you add something.  
4. Then add tomatoes and paste (puree tomatoes if you need too).
5. add all seasoning.  I am not good at measuring so always start w/ about 2 tsp of the more mild seasonings like paprika, chili seasoning, then go with 1/4 tsp of the others.  Season to taste, or add 1 chili seasoning packet and add a few extra other seasonings for taste.  
6. Bring dish to a low boil, then turn to lowest simmer setting and simmer all day long til ready to eat.  Stir every now and then.  =]

-OR-

Throw all ingredients in crock pot and let cook on low 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours.

PALEO - no chili seasoning packet
GLUTEN FREE- no chili seasoning packet
VEGETARIAN - use morning star ground beef substitute (it's really good, I've done it before)
DAIRY FREE
VEGAN - no meat, add other vegetables and maybe firm tofu. You could actually do a tofu, mushroom (use a portobella), sun dried tomato mix as your meat.  That would be great.  Then season with chili flavors.  

Enjoy, go get cooking.....

No comments:

Post a Comment