Sunday, March 15, 2015

Maui Tacos

Recently my husband and I went to Maui.... (ok, we just got back 4 days ago!)  haha.  We went to a lot of great places to eat food, because I enjoy eating!  It was worth every ounce that I gained (that sounds way better than pounds!).  =]  We went to a place called Coconut's Fish Cafe (I recommend it if you go to Maui) and their food was so great.  You can follow me on Instagram @crossfitsouthvalley to see all my food pics and Maui posts.  I will be posting some here (in my spare time!)

So after eating these taco's I knew I needed to recreate these.

First I needed to make some mango pineapple salsa.....here is what I used along w/ some pineapple.



Look at all that goodness!


Then I needed some cream sauce.  If you know me at all you know that I do not like mayo in anyway shape of form (in fact I just threw up a little in mouth even thinking that)!  =]



This was amazing and has great flavor!

I also grilled some tortillas........



I added in my previous Salmon post how I seasoned it and cooked on the BBQ, so I did the same thing for tonight.  It was a huge success.

Then we had to assemble these tacos and eat them!


AMAZING!  They turned out so good and they were super easy.  My boys even ate these!  (ok, my super picky son did not eat the fish but he did have chicken.)  We also make chicken with dish.

Here's what you need:

Salsa:

1/2c mango diced small
1/2c pineapple (mine was from Maui!) diced small
2 tomatoes diced small
1/4c sweet white onion diced small
about 1 mounded Tbsp of jalapéno
1/8 tsp seasoned salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/2 lime squeezed over the top

Mix in bowl well.  Adjust salt and pepper as needed.  I am picky and I like all my pieces diced up the same size.  Also if you want a little more juice in this then take a pastry knife and cut it into the salsa to chop it up a little more.  I did about 6 or 7 times w/ the pastry knife.

yogurt sauce:

1 personal size of chobani yogurt plain and 0%
1 tsp dried cilantro (you can use fresh but I didn't have any)
1 tsp dill
2 pinches of garlic salt
1 lime zested

Mix all ingredients into a bowl well.  I do not add lime juice as it can make the yogurt curdle a little so the zest is perfect here and lots of flavor.

slaw:

1 pre-pack of cole slaw (use as much of this as you feel you need for your dinner)
I used about 2c.  and then I added 3 Tbsp of the yogurt sauce and 1 lime slice squeezed in there.  Mix and coat well.

Salmon or chicken or steak:

You can use any of these proteins here.  In my previous post for the Salmon is how I cooked for the tacos as well.  I know it sounds weird but it works!  You can do the same thing with the chicken for the seasoning or change it up to what you want.  Be creative here.  I have also cooked steak the same way but I did add a little A1 sauce to the BBQ sauce and it was amazing.  One of the best parts was I had some leftover BBQ chicken already so we just reheated it in a pan chopped up w/ some garlic olive oil, tsp of stir fry sauce. 

Assemble tacos:
1 tortilla, 1 tsp sprinkle of cheese (yes cheese, I know that is weird with fish but it works here), then add fish, some dollops of cream sauce, then the slaw, then the salsa!  Or do any order you want =]  Enjoy, go get cooking!

VEGETARIAN: You can use any vegetarian friendly meat substitute you'd like.  I would also recommend firm Tofu.  We have grilled it up for an Asian dish we make and it is amazing, all my kids eat it (even my picky son!) and that is saying something.  Just pat tofu dry (really well) and then cook on high heat w/ seasoning.  Also you can use a vegetarian friendly cheese.

PALEO:  use paleo friendly tortilla (lots of options out there or make your own), paleo friendly cheese, and for cream sauce you can use a paleo mayo version.

GLUTEN FREE:  Make sure you are using a gluten free tortilla!  =]

VEGAN:  You can use Tempeh here or even tofu.  Make sure to use a vegan friendly tortilla and no cheese or vegan friendly.  

DIARY FREE:  No cheese!  Or use Dairy free substitute.  



1 comment:

  1. It looks like you and your husband had some good times savoring everything at that moment, and reliving it by making the tacos by yourself, probably is an awesome time. Anyway, that taco recipe looks delicious! Thank you for sharing its recipe with us. Have a great day!


    Diane Baker @ Alejandra's Restaurant

    ReplyDelete