Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Bruschetta Chicken

My youngest son who is my pickiest son LOVES bruschetta!  Weird since he doesn't eat tomatoes!  I know right.  Because he will eat bruschetta I will make it.  Super easy dish!  You won't even believe it.

Here is what you want to do.........

Bruschetta Chicken:

take 4-6 chicken breasts
salt and pepper each side first
put in a shallow pan and drizzle with:
balsamic dressing (you can make it or buy a store brand, I do like Paul Newman's Light balsamic dressing when I do not make my own)
drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil
also sprinkle oregano on each chicken on each side

Let the chicken sit and marinade for as long as you'd like.  You can make this the night before, the morning of or even an hour before dinner (like I did).  It all works.  

I BBQ'd mine.  It turned out great.  Cook on med to low heat.  You only want to turn the chicken over once not multiple times.  If you are tuning your chicken over frequently turn your heat down.  

After chicken is done, let cool for several minutes, then cut in half and add some mozzarella cheese.  I used the small mozzarella balls that you can buy, and used 2!  I cut the balls into thirds.  Less calories this way.

Add the cheese right in the middle.


Doesn't that look great?!  If you said no, you may need to find another blog.  {wink}

Wanna know a super fast trick to making a tomato basil topping?  Ok, here ya go......  When I am in a super duper hurry and don't have time to make my own, stop at the store and get some pico.  Yep pico, make it mild though.  Oh and don't forget the fresh basil.  You chop up some fresh basil and add it to some of your pico....and BAM.... you have a fresh basil tomato for your bruschetta.  So, you know what bruschetta is right?  Let's say the name right....(Italian pronunciation: [bruˈsketta] and it is an antipasto.... so before dinner kind of thing.  Let's back up just a bit...... we need some bruschetta....


Gorgeous..... look good enough to eat?  I hope so.  =]

I don't usually eat bread with my dinner especially if I am serving any other kind of carb or starch.  But because I just made chicken we indulged in some bruschetta first.  I simple took a baguette, grilled it, topped it with some of the cheese and tomato basil.  I have been to this restaurant that had a bruschetta sampler platter that was amazing.  So we had some leftover steak from the night before.  I sliced it real thin (slight reheat with some steam) and topped it on the bread with the tomato basil sauce....and a small drizzle of A1 sauce!  Weird, I know, but I love it and so does my son.  =]

You can make any type of bruschetta you want but these are the 2 versions we did.

If you are making your own tomato basil topping here is what you need:
3-4 tomatoes
1/4 of a red onion sliced and chopped pretty small
6-8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
salt and pepper
1 garlic crushed
drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar (or a white vinegar works too)
Mix well  
This is best if you allow this time to sit and let all the flavors dance with each other.  =]  Maybe not quite dancing......



Finished product!  So good and light.

The best part about this dish. It makes great left overs.......


Not the best picture, but this was leftovers believe it or not!  I was out of tomato basil so I added a big scoop of cottage cheese, another drizzle of balsamic dressing and chives.  So good and satisfying.  Go get cooking!  Enjoy~


No comments:

Post a Comment