Thursday, March 12, 2015

BBQ Salmon

Totally made this up today.  We just got in from vacation and was in need of some much needed clean fuel.  I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to make though I just knew I wanted veggies and salmon (and something that still reminded me of Maui.) =]



Oooops!  Let's take a step back here and start from the beginning.

I am a busy mom, CrossFit gym owner and a wife so my time is limited during the day.  I ran and got all my veggies and salmon to be ready for dinner tonight.

Here is what I picked up but feel free to use any veggies that speak to you.

My grocery list:

salmon/chicken
mangos
mushrooms
onions
peppers
dates



I didn't need much in the way of groceries because I had some stuff at home that I needed to use.

Cut up all veggies.  I like small pieces (makes them easier to eat!)  haha .... I also like uniform pieces.  =]  Set them off to the side in piles because you will cook these in stages.... NOT ALL AT ONCE!  You want to cook them all at once...... DON'T... because it still cooks pretty quick while you doing other things.

Then season salmon/chicken (I did cook both here, because I have 1 picky son who won't touch fish of any kind.  Crazy kid!)  

Turn on BBQ'er.......

Look at that piece of Salmon!


Chicken:

If you are using breasts I like to cut into 3 cutlet size pieces because they cook much faster and more evenly.
Season each side w/ seasoned salt and pepper and sweet mesquite seasoning (Costco) and brush w/ a little BBQ sauce (use any brand you prefer).

Tips:  {Best way to season is by using a sheet pan w/ tongs.}

Salmon:

Season w/ seasoned salt and pepper and sweet mesquite seasoning (Costco) and brush w/ BBQ sauce.  Set in tin foil and wrap up.

Make sure heat on BBQ'er is set to med low.  You don not want over cook this and high heat cook the chicken way to fast and also will burn the BBQ sauce.

Put the meat on the BBQ'er and get back to your veggies.

Get a pan on and set to med low heat, add olive oil and add onions only right now.  Season w/ salt and pepper and let cook for about 3-4 min.  Then add your peppers and 2 dates cut up, let cook for another 3-4 min.

Go check on chicken and if it needs to turn over do it.  Don't turn over chicken unless it is ready!  

Now go check on veggies again and give a stir.  Add mushrooms and let cook for about 3 min then add mangos!  This makes the dish.  after 1 min add a good splash of white wine (about 1/2c) and 2 spoonfuls of my homemade peach jalapéno jam.  Now, you can't buy the jam in the store but any kind of sweet spice jam you find would work.  =]

Don't forget about your CHICKEN and SALMON on the grill!  My salmon was a good size piece and took about the same time as my chicken.  


See how the veggies still have color and aren't too squishy?  Well, you are welcome to cook your veggies longer if you'd like but I like mine to be crunchy still.  =]


This is really what a kitchen looks like when you cook in it!  Not all pretty and cleaned up (until you take your close up pic of your plate!  See it......it's right in the middle of the mess.)  haha

FINAL PRODUCT:



The salmon and veggies are piled on top of some quinoa (leftover from the night before).  I warmed up the quinoa, added veggies (with some sauce) and then added my salmon.  

The dish really only takes about 30ish min.  Especially if you have everything ready to go.  I didn't because I got home from the gym after working out and quick had to make something to eat!  haha.  It was perfect!  This recipe just came to me as I was cooking.  Sometimes it is inspiration.........

what you need:

4 chicken breasts (cut into cutlets)
12 oz salmon
salt and pepper
sweet mesquite seasoning
BBQ sauce (about 1/2c)
1 white sweet onion
1 rep pepper
1/2 orange pepper
1 mango cut and diced
1c mushrooms diced
1/2c white wine
2 spoonfuls of peach jalapéno jam (mine is homemade) but use any sweet spicy jam (about 2 Tbsp)
quinoa (precooked)
2 dates

(recipe ABOVE)

VEGETARIAN - "You don't eat meat?  Ok, I make lamb."  hahahahaha  Seriously, you don't need meat.  You can use a meat substitute that you like or even add tofu to the veggies!  I have a great recipe with some tofu (that is another post).  

VEGAN - No Meat.  I would add more veggies and or grilled egg plant here.  That would be great.  Make sure you use a vegan friendly BBQ sauce.

PALEO- as is.... (my jalapéno jam is paleo!  I did that on purpose!)

GLUTEN FREE 

No comments:

Post a Comment